Home   >   Business   >   Business News   >   201106
Ghana To Increase Rice Production
 
<< Prev  |  Next >>
 
30-Jun-2011  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
Government is poised to produce 20,000 metric tonnes of “highest grade” quality rice by 2012 to reduce rice importation.

To this end, interventions such as providing the necessary
machinery and promotion of Private Public Partnership policy have been
intensified to enable Ghana to increase rice production to meet the
target.

Mr Fifi Kwetey, Deputy Minister of Finance and Economic Planning
announced this during a visit to the Fievie Rice Project in the Volta
Region on Wednesday.

The project is a 30 years lease of 1000 hectares farm land
granted to Global Agri-Development Company to develop rice farm.
GADCO started operations in January and had so far developed and
planted 700 acres and poised to harvest 1500 metric tonnes of rice by
the end of July.

The project is a partnership agreement with the local community
and the South Tongu District to undertake rice production to create
employment to the people.

Ghana currently spends about 450 million dollars annually on rice
importation to augment local demand.

The country’s self-sufficient in the rice production stands at
about 30 per cent, leaving a short fall of 70 per cent.
Mr Kwetey said government would encourage the Millennium
Development Authorities and the beneficiary assemblies to take
advantage of the opportunity to engage the private sector in
developing infrastructural projects and services.

He used the occasion to announce Cabinet approval of the Private
Public Partnership Policy. Mr Daniel Amelorku, District Chief Executive said the project was the beginning of more development initiatives in the district to reduce unemployment.

He said the rice project would be extended within fours years to
4000 hectares to make the district the highest producer of rice in
West Africa.
 
 
 
Source: GNA
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.