Local News :

Home   >   News   >   Health   >   201106
Girl Paralysed After Taking Expired Drug
 
<< Prev  |  Next >>
 
30-Jun-2011  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
The Pharmacy Council has launched investigations into how a Tema-based pharmacy sold an expired malarial drug to a consumer. A two-year-old girl is now paralysed after she was given the medicine prescribed by her doctor.

The pharmacy is said to have sold a Quinaquin mixture whose shelf life expired over a year ago.

The father of the girl, Ernest Alorli Donkor told Joy News“as at now she is looking pale, she can’t even walk, [she was] vomiting [and] she is with me in the house now. For the past four months she has not been going to school due to her condition.”

He said when the attention of the pharmacist was drawn to it, he offered to refund the money, but Mr Donkor refused because it shows how uncaring he was about his daughter’s condition. He subsequently reported the case to the Tema Community One Police “but to my dismay they could not take any action about the whole situation”.

Mr Donkor is considering suing the pharmacist as well as the Pharmacy Council and the Food and Drugs Board. Registrar of the Pharmacy Council Joseph Nyoagbe is urging restraint as the Council investigates the matter.

Meanwhile, the Food and Drugs Board has described as unnecessary the planned law suit by the aggrieved father against the board and the Pharmacy Council.

Public Relations Officer at the FDB James Lartey told Joy News although they sympathize with the family, the FDB must not be entirely blamed.



Source: Joy News/Ghana
 
 
 
Source: Joy News
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.