Local News :

Home   >   News   >   Health   >   201407
Test On Suspected Ebola Victim Negative
 
<< Prev  |  Next >>
 
29-Jul-2014  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
Laboratory tests carried out at both the Komfo Anokye Hospital and the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research on the suspected Ebola victim in Kumasi have proved negative.

The Ashanti Regional Director of Health Service, Dr Alexis M. Nang Beifubah, told the Daily Graphic yesterday that tests to establish whether the victim had Ebola or other diseases such as Marburg, Dengue, West Nile and Yellow fever proved negative.

However, the laboratories are further testing the suspect for Lassa fever and the result is expected later.

Rumours of the outbreak of the disease in Kumasi were rife last Saturday after some residents of Suame had sighted a group of people suspected to be Liberians whose car had broken down.

The resident subsequently hinted the police for the suspected Liberians to be quarantined until their true health status had been known, since Liberia was one of the countries which had been hit by the virus.

In the process, one of the 11 people, initially believed to be Liberians, was knocked down by a vehicle when he attempted to run away.

The residents said the injured victim was reportedly rushed to KATH for treatment but he was allegedly given cold reception on arrival because of the suspicion that he was suffering from Ebola.

At a hurriedly organised press conference last Sunday by a combined team from the health services, KATH and the Ashanti Regional Security Council, the Ashanti Regional Director of the Ghana Health Service said investigations revealed that the occupants of the vehicle were all Ghanaians resident in Liberia.

It takes two days for the Ebola virus to show, Dr Nang-Beifubah said, adding that the people had been travelling for the past 21 days and if they had contracted the disease, it would have been noticed on arrival.

A blood sample of the gentleman who was knocked down by the vehicle has been sent to the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research for further tests to establish whether or not the man in question had the virus.

The remaining 10 have been escorted to the Buduburam Camp in the Central Region.

Mr Nang-Beifubah said the Ashanti Regional Health Directorate was ready to handle any outbreak of the disease.

He said plans were afoot to obtain protective clothing for selected health staff, while an isolated place had been secured for people who might be attacked by the virus.
 
 
 
Source: Daily Graphic
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.