Local News :

Home   >   News   >   General News   >   201505
Goodluck Set For Historic Democratic Handover To Buhari
 
<< Prev  |  Next >>
 
29-May-2015  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
Former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari is preparing to formally take over as Nigeria's elected head of state following his election victory in March 28 elections.

Buhari will attend a swearing-in ceremony in Abuja, the capital, on Friday after becoming the first Nigerian to oust a sitting president through the ballot box.

On Thursday, outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan hosted a dinner event at the state banquet hall in Aso Villa, the presidential villa, to mark his handover to Buhari.

Attending Thursday night's event were former heads of state, representatives and presidents of various countries.

Earlier on Thursday, Jonathan, who as he entered his final week in office had offered up a prayer for the success of Buhari, showed the president-elect around his new quarters.

The 57-year-old took Buhari and his vice-president-elect Yemi Osinbajo on a tour of Aso Rock before submitting his formal handover notes.

High expectations

Buhari, 72, takes over as head of Africa's most populous nation, top economy and leading oil producer as it limps back to normality after fuel shortages that brought the country to a near standstill.

Buhari's All Progressives Congress (APC) accused Jonathan's Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of orchestrating the fuel crisis to scupper the transition.

But Jonathan told him: "Our administration has done its best to intervene robustly and impact positively on key aspects of our national life."

Expectations are high, some say too high, that Buhari can fix Nigeria, with corruption seemingly entrenched in public life and decades of mismanagement.

The enormity of his task includes not just preventing further fuel supply problems but bringing an end to the Boko Haram insurgency, which has claimed at least 15,000 lives since 2009.

"Victory is now in sight and within our reach," said Jonathan, referring to a military offensive that has driven out the armed group from many captured towns and territory in the northeast.

"However, the cost in blood of citizens and heroes and the diversion of national treasures from urgent needs for development have been very high."

Hundreds of kidnapped women and children have been freed in recent weeks and Jonathan said it was his "sincere hope" that 219 schoolgirls held since April last year would soon be rescued.

Jonathan was criticised for his response to the mass abduction but nothing has been seen or heard from the schoolgirls since May last year, when many of them appeared in a Boko Haram video.

Buhari has said he cannot make promises for their safe return but his government "will do everything in its power to bring them home" and vowed to lead from the front to end the violence.

"What I want first is for him to fight Boko Haram and corruption," said psychology student Stephen Anongo, 25, as he got his hair cut at a roadside salon in the capital.

"[On Friday] I'm going to spend the little money I have to celebrate with my fellow brothers."
 
 
 
Source: Aljazeera
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.