Local News :

Home   >   News   >   Social   >   200910
No Documents To ButtressTarzan's Salary Claims
 
<< Prev  |  Next >>
 
29-Oct-2009  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
Justice Isaac Douse, Chairman of the [email protected] Commission of Inquiry.
 
 
Related Stories
 
The Director of Budgets at the Presidency, Mr. Azu Sa-Aziakor, who presided over the expenses of Ghana’s 50th anniversary, has thrown a wedge into claims by the CEO of the defunct [email protected] Secretariat, Dr. Charles Wereko-Brobbey that the government owes him salaries.

Dr. Wereko-Brobbey had told the Justice Douse led commission of Inquiry during his appearance before the commission that he had been paid only 50 per cent of his salary, and hoped payments of his arrears will be duly honoured.

He indicated that he was engaged with a start-up salary of $5,000 per month which was subject for review. He therefore made demands for accrued salaries of some 38 months.

This claim drew reactions from the commissioners and some of its supporting staff who wondered why he (Wereko-Brobbey) as the head of the [email protected] secretariat had not received his salary when his staff had been paid all their entitlements.

Dr. Wereko Brobbey told commission that he had “documentations” as well as “physical manifestations” of the fact that he was still at post up until February 7, 2009 and could make them available if counsel so pleases.

However, when he appeared before the commission on Thursday, October 29, the Director of Budgets at the Presidency told the Commission that his outfit did not have any documentation to buttress Dr. Wereko Brobbey’s claim.

Mr. Azu added that he could not determine the validity or otherwise of the accounts presented to the commission by Dr Wereko Brobbey since he and his staff at the castle were not in charge of the Ghana at fifty secretariat’s accounts.

Meanwhile, [email protected] Commission of Inquiry on Thursday brought its public hearings to a close.

Delivering his closing remarks, Justice Isaac Douse promised a prompt delivery of the commission’s report to the Presidency for action. He however invited a memorandum from the public as to what they think should be included in the report.

“We still expect memoranda from the public as to the way forward for any other public celebrations that we need to do in this country so as to avoid some of the malfeasance that has been exposed,” He said.

The public hearings of the Commission commenced on July 23 after the Commission had done preliminary work which included visits to some Ghana @ 50 projects sites and organizing volumes of memoranda and petitions it had received at the time.

In all, the Commission took evidence from 238 witnesses comprising suppliers, contractors and service providers.

As its terms of reference, the Commission was to inquire into and report within three months, allegations of improper use of public or any other funds as well as inquire into the use by the Secretariat of any property, movable and immovable.

The Commission was also to inquire into any other matter which appeared to be accidental to or reasonably related to Ghana @ 50 celebrations, which in the opinion of the Commission ought to be enquired into; and to make recommendations in respect of its own findings of fact.

Justice Douse expressed appreciation to Ghanaians for their support to the commission and took the opportunity to apologize to all who might have been offended by the conduct of the commission or any of its members.
 
 
 
Source: Citifmonline
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.