Local News :

Home   >   News   >   Social   >   201108   >   Tension At TV3
Tension At TV3
<< Prev  |  Next >>
Comments ( )    Email    Print
Related Stories
Information Reaching the Daily Guide newspaper indicates that unionized workers of TV3 Network Limited (TV3) are running out of patience with their new managers, Media General Limited, over the non-payment of their severance package.

The unionized workers are therefore threatening to demonstrate against the new owners of the station, today, Monday, August 22, 2011, if they refused to meet to discuss their concerns.

A source at the station told Daily Guide that the new management had refused on several occasions to meet with the union over the payment of their severance package.

The source noted that the union workers were angry and demanding their severance package because there was some uncertainty over their future with the company. Last Friday, workers of the station wore red armbands over the new management’s refusal to meet with them on the issue.

Media General Ghana Limited, a wholly Ghanaian owned company, has acquired 90 percent equity interest in TV3, whilst the remaining 10 percent of the company is already owned by another Ghanaian firm, Winmat. The Share Purchase Agreement between Media General Ghana and Media Prima Berhad (MPB) of Malaysia, through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Gama Media International BVI, was signed on January 6, 2011.

With the equity interest, TV3 is now fully-owned by Ghanaians.
Media General Ghana’s stake in the company is approximately US$2.8 million but it is yet to assume full managerial duties.

All efforts to reach the union chairman, Allan Davidson, on the issue proved futile, as he had stated earlier that the union would talk to the media at the right time.

However, a source at Media General, who pleaded anonymity, told DAILY GUIDE that the company was unaware of any scheduled meeting with the union or a planned demonstration.

The source called on the aggrieved workers to redirect their concerns to the management of TV3 since Media General was yet to take full control of the station.

Source: Esther Awuah

Comments ( ): Post Your Comments >>

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.