Local News :

Home   >   News   >   Social   >   201205
Five Killed In Separate Incidents
<< Prev  |  Next >>
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
Desmond Kabah
Related Stories
The police will have a tough job unravelling a string of calamities in which five people, including a 27-year-old medical doctor at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital and a 48-year-old Warrant Officer in the Ghana Armed Forces, died in separate incidents in Accra and on the Koforidua-Mamfe road Sunday.

The medical officer, identified as Dr Desmond Kabah, was found dead in his room at Korle-Bu, while the military man, WOI Frederick Cudjoe Amoako, was shot in the eye and killed by suspected armed robbers at Osubeto, near Nyame Bekyere along the Koforidua-Mamfe road.

At the Ridge Hospital in Accra, the two men who were found unconscious in a room at Teiman, near Oyarifa, after watching the European Champions League final match between Bayern Munich and Chelsea on May 19, 2012 died on Sunday evening, while the Eastern Regional Manager of the National Board for Small-Scale Industries (NBSSI), Obeng Owusu-Ansah, 27, was shot and killed by suspected armed robbers on the Koforidua-Mamfe road.

The names of the two football enthusiasts were given as Boye Annang, 33, and Ayi Aryeh Adama, 30.

In the first incident, Dr Kabah, a houseman at Korle-Bu, was found dead in his flat, Room 42 on the third floor of Block N which accommodates house officers, about 7 p.m. Sunday.

His death has raised security concerns over the safety of members of staff of the hospital, as some nurses have been recently attacked on the hospital premises after close of work.

Bloodstains were found in his left armpit and on his scrotum, while bruises were found on the left leg, with blood oozing from his nostrils.

His bed sheet was also soaked with blood.

According to the Accra Regional Police Public Relations Officer, Deputy Superintendent of Police Mr Freeman Tettey, there was no visible cut on any part of Dr Kabah’s body.

He said the police did not find any knife close by, either.

“It is extremely difficult to say if it was murder or suicide, unless a post-mortem is conducted along with police investigations,’’ he said.

Mr Tettey said two friends (names withheld) of the deceased had allegedly entered his room, only to find him naked on his bed and suspected he was dead.

He explained that the two friends claimed that they had not heard or seen Dr Kabah, hence the decision to go to the late doctor’s flat to find out if he was in there.

According to him, the two friends said although the door to the room was closed, it was not locked.

He said when the police entered the room, they found the key to the room on a table, with the room in a very disorganised state, as items were scattered all over.

In the other incident, the two men who had been found unconscious in a room at Teiman where two other men had been found dead after watching a football match have been reported dead at the Ridge Hospital in Accra where they had been on admission.

Boye Annang and Aryeh Adama died Sunday evening, a week after they had been found lying unconscious in the living room of Mr Nai Kwadey, one of the deceased men.

According to the Public Relations Officer of the Accra Regional Police Command, Mr Freeman Tettey, the two men never regained consciousness while they were on admission at the hospital.

He said doctors at the Police Hospital were yet to conduct autopsies to ascertain the actual cause or causes of death of the four victims.

Mr Tettey said police investigators were working around the clock to unravel the circumstances which had led to the deaths.

The Police PRO indicated that the Homicide Unit of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service, which took over investigations from the Adentan Police, was optimistic that it would get to the bottom of the issue very soon.

The two men who died earlier, Mr Kwadey, a senior technical officer at the University of Ghana Medical School, aged 53, and his friend, Nii Ako Ashong, 59, a farmer resident at Teiman, were found dead in the sitting room of Mr Kwadey’s house.

The deceased were said to have jubilated soon after the match with drinks and a meal but died without calling for help, as their mobile phones were found lying by them.

In the last of the cases, WOI Amoako and Owusu-Ansah were both shot in the eyes when four suspected highway robbers attacked a number of vehicles at Osubeto on Sunday.

WOI Amoako, who was in military gear and was sitting in the front seat of an Accra-bound Nissan Hiace bus, and Owusu-Ansah, a well-known man in Koforidua who was driving his BMW X3 series vehicle, were both shot in the right eyes.

Owusu-Ansah is alleged to have challenged the armed robbers when they asked him to pull over.

The robbers are reported to have used firewood to block the road and succeeded in robbing three vehicles, including those being used by WOI Amoako and Owusu-Ansah, about 8 p.m.

Briefing graphic.com.gh, the Eastern Regional Police Commander, DCOP K. Gyamerah-Yeboah, said the four armed robbers blocked the road with firewood at Osubeto and began robbing both private and commercial vehicles plying the Koforidua-Mamfe road.

He said the robbers succeeded in robbing three vehicles, including those being driven by Owusu-Ansah, with registration number GC 6886-11, and the Toyota Hiace on which WOI Amoako was travelling.

He said when the Accra-bound Toyota Hiace, with registration number GN 2843 Z, arrived at the place where the road had been blocked, the robbers shot WOI Amoako in the right eye on seeing him in military uniform.

The driver of the bus, however, managed to drive through the road block and sped to the Tetteh Quarshie Memorial Hospital where WOI Amoako was pronounced dead on arrival.

He said the police patrol team from Koforidua was tipped off about the incident and it rushed to the scene, where it found Owusu-Ansah dead in his BMW four-wheel drive vehicle.

The patrol team then called for reinforcement from Akropong and Accra and when they combed the bush, they arrested a man, Kofi Seth Denor, 20.

“When Denor was searched, the police found five mobile phones on him and he was taken to Koforidua to assist the police in their investigations,” DCOP Gyamerah-Yeboah stated.

Source: graphic.com.gh

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.