Local News :

Home   >   News   >   Social   >   201509
Rlg To Supply Digital Set-Top Boxes In Nigeria?   
 
  << Prev  |  Next >>
 
11-Sep-2015  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
There are credible indications that communications device manufacturer, Rlg, has been contracted to manufacture and supply Digital Terrestrial TV Set-top Boxes, otherwise known as STBs in Nigeria.

The Television Enterprises Limited, a subsidiary of the National Television Authority (NTA), is said to have contracted Rlg Communications Nigeria Ltd to provide the digital boxes for use by the state broadcaster.

Nigeria, with a population of some 173.6 million people, are expected to migrate its broadcasting system from analogue to digital, as required of many other countries on the continent by the United Nation’s International Telecommunications Union (ITU).

In accordance with guidelines established in 2006 by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), of which Nigeria is a member, broadcast stations were expected to complete the switch from analogue to digital platforms by June 17, 2015.

The ITU has however been compelled to extend the deadline for most African countries due to ill-preparation.

Successful switch over will ensure broadcast stations transmit on the Ultra High Frequency (UHF) radio platform in the range of 300 to 3,000 MHz.

After the deadline, satellite dishes and antennas will receive their signals via a different technology.

Theoretically, it will be possible to receive many more channels and enjoy improved image quality.

Information gathered shows that by the contract dictates, Rlg are expected to manufacture the digital boxes locally, a requirement the pan African company are able to meet in view of their already significant presence and expertise in Nigeria.

The company is traditionally known for its mobile phone and computers manufacturing, having begun in Ghana and expanded to more than 6 countries over a decade and a half.

The NTA’s Television Enterprises Ltd are expected to lead in the deployment, marketing and sales of the set-up boxes to television viewers in Nigeria.

In March this year, the Guardian Newspaper reported that the country had a digital television penetration of 22 per cent of the total Nigerian television household, thereby exposing the remaining 78 per cent viewers to danger of blackout.

The 22 per cent penetration might be coming from the services of pay television stations like the DStv, GoTv, Startimes, StarSat, ACTv, among others.

It has been reported earlier that should the transition process eventually flop, Nigeria, just like a few other sub-Saharan African countries, may miss its own share of the $82 billion ‘digital dividend’ by 2025, as forecast by the Global System for Mobile Telecommunication Association (GSMA).

Failure to transit could also cause digital signal interference with border countries and, therefore, disrupt viewing in Nigeria.

The award of the contract offers many Nigerians huge sigh of relief as they are now assured of a successful terrestrial migration soon.

The Lagos-based Rlg Communications Nigeria is said to be the owner of a state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in the Osun State where it currently produces devices for renowned brands like Airtel Nigeria.
 
 
Source: Peacefmonline.com
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.