Home   >   News   >   Social   >   201801
Afoko Lied To Police – Witness   
  << Prev  |  Next >>
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
Gregory Afoko
Related Stories
A fifth prosecution witness in the trial of Gregory Afoko, who has been accused of murdering Adams Mahama, the Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), has told an Accra High Court that the accused lied to the police when he was arrested.

According to the witness Dominic Apaaya Baba, he Afoko, Asabke Alangdi, who is on the run and one Awafo Akalesiya, spent time at a drinking spot until about 10pm.

Dominic said he informed the police that Afoko told a lie when he said he was asleep in his house by 8pm on April 20, 2015.

Led in his evidence-in-chief by Mathew Amponsah, a Senior State Attorney, Dominic Apaaya, told the court, presided over by Justice L.L. Mensah that he was at the spot when Gregory Afoko called him on phone.

He said when he answered the phone, Asabke asked of his whereabouts.

Dominic said Afoko took the phone from Asabke and asked him to join them at their table at the same drinking spot.

According to the prosecution witness, Afoko bought him a drink and reminded him not to miss out on a meeting to form the NPP youth in Bolgatanga, which was rescheduled for May 24, 2015.

He said Afoko suggested the name ‘NPP Youth Action Wing’ after he (witness) told the accused he did not have any suggestions.

He said at about 10pm, they all decided to go home, adding that Afoko and Asabke moved towards Bolgatanga on a motorbike, adding that Awafo went home on foot.

He said he pushed his motorbike to the house since it was very close to the drinking spot.

The prosecution witness said the next day, he missed a call from Asabke, saying “when I returned it, he (Asabke) told me that he heard the police and Afoko came to his house to look for him and the call ended abruptly.”

He said he saw Asabke by the roadside close to his house, adding that he (Asabke) reiterated that he heard that the police stormed his house because he (Asabke) and Afoko had poured acid on the deceased.

“I asked him whether he knew anything about it and he said no. I asked for about three times and he said no. I then advised him to report to the police if he knew nothing about it, and that he should not allow the police to come looking for him a second time.”

“He was very worried and said ok. I have not seen him since then,” the witness told the court.

Defence counsel, Osafo Buaben, who cross-examined the witness, asked the witness whether he gave three statements to the police as a suspect in the matter, which he answered in the affirmative.

Hearing continues today January 25, 2018.
Source: Daily Guide

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.
Featured Video