Local News :

Home   >   News   >   Social   >   201901
Nothing Will Stop Yaa Naa’s Funeral - Otumfuo   
 
  << Prev  |  Next >>
 
14-Jan-2019  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
Otumfuo Osei Tutu II has sounded a note of caution that nothing will stop the funeral of the late Yaa-Naa Andani Yakubu despite the violence that occurred in Yendi last week Friday.

Otumfuo Ose Tutu II, the occupant of the Golden Stool, who is the Chairman of the Committee of Eminent Chiefs working to ensure peace in Dagbon, in a statement issued on Saturday, January 12, 2019 and signed by his Chief of Staff, said the funeral “is continuing in accordance with the road map.”

The funeral of the late Yaa-Naa was temporarily held up again on Friday evening, January 11, 2019, following a fresh trouble in Yendi.

One person was reportedly shot dead and a few others left injured in the wake of a shooting incident between Abudus and Andanis.

Several houses were also burnt down in the process, sparking fears that peace in Dagbon may not be achieved just yet, but the Asantehene in the statement said the funeral rites of the late Yaa Naa would continue as planned, starting from yesterday (Sunday, January 13, 2019).

The statement from Manhyia said: “On Sunday, 13th January, 2019 all customary processes will continue to pave way for the performance of the funeral by the Elders of the Andani Royal Family.”

On Thursday, 17th January, 2019 the statement continued, Kampakuya-Naa Andani Yakubu Abdulai will perform the circumambulation to complete the funeral process on Friday, 18th January, 2019.

On the evening of Friday, 18th January, 2019 the statement indicated that the accredited elders of Dagbon, will enter the sacred seclusion to consult the traditional oracles for the selection of a new Ya-Naa.

It further directed the Northern Regional Security Council to provide adequate security to facilitate the smooth performance of the funeral by the Andani Royal family and the selection of the Ya-Naa by the elders of Dagbon.

While expressing hope that all concerned parties would cooperate to ensure lasting peace in Dagbon, the chairman of the committee of eminent chiefs urged the media to at all times seek clarification from the northern regional security council on key issues before going public with information.

Following police and military intervention after Friday’s incidence, calm has returned to the area.

Meanwhile, security agencies in the Northern Region have outlined new security measures in the Yendi area as the funeral for the late Yaa-Naa Andani Yakubu was expected to continue yesterday.

The new measures were taken after security chiefs including high ranking national military and police officers held a meeting to discuss security issues in Yendi.

The Inspector General of Police, David Asante-Appeatu, together with the Chief of Defense Staff, Lt. Col. Obed Akwa; Major General William Ayamdoh, Chief of Army Staff; Col Michael Amoah-Ayisi, Deputy Director-General, Joint Operations, General Headquarters of the Ghana Armed Forces; Col Isaac Amponsah of the Armed Forces; Lt. Col. Ansah Akofi from the Army Headquarters and Forces Sergeant Major, CWO Barker Ramus, arrived in Yendi on Saturday, January 12, 2019 to discuss further security arrangements and also assess at first hand the existing arrangements ahead of the funeral rites.

The Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO), Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Yusif Tanko, who addressed the media following a meeting with the elders of the Andani family, gave assurance of maximum security and an incident-free period.

He said as part of the new security arrangement, all vehicles entering and leading to Yendi will be searched by police officers.

He said suspicious persons within the town will also be subjected to a security search to ensure that weapons were not brought into the town.

“We want to assure the Elders of the Andanis that we are going to assist them so that they can have this funeral in an atmosphere of security. We are going to increase our numbers at the barriers and we are going to search the vehicles as they come in and go out. We are also going to search suspicious persons to make sure they don’t come in with ammunition…. The funeral is coming off tomorrow, (Sunday, January 13, 2019) and we are going to do everything possible to ensure that the necessary protection is given,” he assured.
 
 
Source: Today
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.