Home   >   Politics   >   Politics   >   201809
Attempt To Stop Rot At BOST Caused My Removal – Former MD   
 
  << Prev  |  Next >>
 
19-Sep-2018  
Comments ( 3 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
Mr. Alfred Obeng Boateng
 
Related Stories
 
The Managing Director of the Bulk Oil Storage and Transport Company, Alfred Obeng Boateng says his attempt to stop the massive rot at BOST caused his removal.

He says his attempt to make things right and put an end to the rot at BOST caused him some disaffection whiles he was Managing Director.

Speaking on Okay FM’s 'Ade Akye Abia' programme Wednesday, he explained that workers at BOST were selling supposed contaminated fuel to themselves and other civil society groups.

"When I attempted to streamline things and put a stop to this fraud being perpetrated by workers at BOST, I had lots of enemies who rose against me and eventually caused my removal as MD at BOST," he said.

"The corruption and rot at BOST if not curbed will collapse the company," he added.

Mr Alfred Obeng Boateng was dismissed as the Managing Director of Bulk Oil Storage and Transport Company in June 5, 2018.

Government has since appointed Mr George Mensah Okley to take over.

BOST was heavily criticized last year for selling some 5 million litres of contaminated fuel to two unlicensed companies, Movepiina and Zup Oil, which were allegedly set up few days before the sale, making Ghana lose about GHc 7 million in revenue.

Following the alleged sale of the contaminated fuel, many individuals, as well as institutions, including the Minority in Parliament and the Alliance for Accountable Governance (AFAG), called for the dismissal of BOST MD, Mr Obeng-Boateng. 

COPEC boss, Mr. Duncan Amoah has accused Mr Obeng Boateng of making questionable payments to one of BOST’s clients, Springfield Energy, to the tune of US$4 million as part-payment of a US$9 million interest on a principal judgment debt of US$11,104,143.2 awarded them by a court for the loss of an oil consignment which Springfield took to BOST for storage in 2013.

According to Mr Amoah, this alleged act on the part of Mr Obeng Boateng smacks of criminality, for which the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) and the National Security must act by arresting the ex-MD.

In an interview with Peace FM, Mr Amoah alleged that about one million litres of the contaminated fuel was sold to some fuel stations, who, in turn, sold to car users at the pumps – a situation which could destroy vehicles.

“EOCO and the National Security must intervene and arrest Alfred Obeng for questioning. He must be made to account for the over one million litres of the contaminated fuel that cannot be accounted for. The current CEO of BOST should not be blamed, let us blame Alfred Obeng for the issue,” he said.

Mr Amoah said Mr Obeng Boateng “must tell us the fuel stations he sold the contaminated fuel to and the amount he got from the sale. If he is unable to account for it, then that alone is enough for the state security to go after him.”

However, he has denied allegations leveled against him by COPEC that he sold some contaminated fuel.

He has challenged COPEC to investigate BOST for various fraud activities rather than attacking him and trying to dent his image.

Mr. Alfred Obeng was, however, cleared by Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), according to then Energy Minister Boakye Agyarko who had set up a committee to investigate the sale.









 
 
Source: Isaac Kwame Owusu/Peacefmonline.com/[email protected]
 
 

Comments ( 3 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.