Home   >   Sports   >   Golf   >   201002







Tiger Woods To Break Silence With Public Statement
 
<< Prev  |  Next >>
 
17-Feb-2010  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
Woods has not played since winning an event in Australia last November.
 
 
Related Stories
 
Tiger Woods will speak publicly on Friday for the first time since the scandal surrounding his private life erupted in late November last year.

The golf star's agent, Mark Steinberg, said Woods will address the media at the Sawgrass Clubhouse, Ponte Vedra, Florida, at 1600 GMT on 19 February.

"Tiger plans to discuss his past and his future, and he plans to apologise for his behaviour," said Steinberg.

Woods has been on an indefinite break from golf since admitting infidelity.

"Tiger feels as though it's time to make amends and to publicly do that," the agent added.

Woods has not spoken in public since a single-vehicle traffic accident outside his Florida home on 27 November, which was followed by media reports detailing extramarital affairs.

The 34-year-old is married to Swedish model Elin Nordgren, and the couple have two young children.

Steinberg said Woods "will be speaking to a small group of friends, colleagues and close associates" but said a pool of reporters would be present.

"While Tiger feels that what happened is fundamentally a matter between he and his wife, he also recognises that he has hurt and let down a lot of other people who were close to him," Steinberg said.

"He also let down his fans. He wants to begin the process of making amends and that's what he's going to discuss."
 





However, Steinberg stressed that the golfer would not be answering questions. "This is not a press conference," he said.

Three news wire services will be present, as well as a small group of reporters chosen by the Golf Writers Association of America, with one camera to supply a live satellite feed.

"This is all about the next step," said Steinberg. "Tiger is looking forward to it."

Tim Finchem, commissioner of the PGA Tour whose headquarters will host Woods on Friday, said: "I'm pleased he is going to make some comments.

"I want Tiger back playing as soon as he has dealt with what he left the game to deal with. I don't want him back before that. I'm just going to wait and see what he says."

On 11 December, Woods announced he would take an "indefinite break" from golf.

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children," he said in a statement.

"I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness."

The likely date of Woods' return to golf is one of the hottest topics in sport, with the first major of the year, the US Masters, less than two months away.

The latest speculation is that he will opt to play at the unofficial - and private - Tavistock Cup event on his home course Isleworth in Florida from 22-23 March.

The Masters, which Woods has won four times, takes place at Augusta National from 8-11 April.

Woods has won 14 major titles and needs five more to surpass the record of 18 held by compatriot Jack Nicklaus.
 
 
Source: BBC/Sports
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.