Wife Of Late Opoku-Acheampong Laments Over Harsh Treatment Of Health Workers

Wife of the late Prince Anthony Opoku Acheampong, Mrs. Esther Opoku Acheampong has appealed to the government to equip the various health facilities in the country to save human lives.

Lamenting about the circumstances that resulted in the demise of her husband, Mrs. Opoku Acheampong told host Nana Yaw Kesseh on Peace FM’s Kokrokoo that’s it’s appalling for a nation like Ghana to go through health crises as lacking hospital beds to accommodate patients.

70-year old Prince Anthony Opoku Acheampong lost his life after seven hospitals he was taken to by his wife and family rejected him and wouldn’t attend to his condition.

The deceased’s family began their search for a hospital at 11:00 pm on Saturday, June 2, travelling for about 46 kilometres in total, across the seven hospitals, till he eventually died at around 3:30 am; a Citi FM publication on Tuesday, June 12 read.

The first hospital the late Anthony Opoku Acheampong and his family went to before his untimely death was a private facility called C&J Medicare Hospital.

According to Mrs. Opoku Acheampong, Medicare Hospital happens to be the family’s hospital but in their times of need, the hospital turned them away and directed the family to Korle Bu Hospital.

“When we got to Korle Bu, they also said there’s no bed. We asked if they can’t even administer first aid to him and they checked his sugar and BP; telling us that his sugar is high as well as his BP. We continued to plead with them but they redirected us to Korle Bu Poly-clinic. When we reached there, they said there’s no bed; so we should take him to Ridge. When we got there, they said there’s no bed and what’s mind boggling is that when it happens, then they will direct us to a place…we went to seven (7) hospitals but we didn’t get a bed for my husband”, she narrated.

She tearfully recounted how she finally went to LEKMA Hospital only to find a doctor relaxing in a car but wouldn’t check her husband’s condition despite several pleas to at least administer first aid to stabilize him.

Arriving at LEKMA Hospital, the family saw a nurse who failed to attend to the patient also echoing the same words of the previous hospitals they earlier went and they were turned down.

“They even won’t come out to attend to the patient or even administer first aid. I was lamenting…I then saw a doctor sleeping in a car and we woke the doctor up pleading to look at him but the doctor said he can’t help us because there’s no bed. I knelt down, holding the leg of the doctor and begging to attend to my husband but the doctor didn’t mind me. I went back only to find my husband dead in my car”.

She questioned the Government of Ghana if it fair for her husband to die under such inhumane treatment from people who have “an oath to save lives”.