Despite mass promotion and advertisement of fluoride based tooth pastes, information gathered by The Independent newspaper has reveled that the active ingredient “sodium monoflourophosphate” can be poisonous to the human body.
The active ingredient, sodium monoflourophosphate, is a combination of sodium fluoride and phosphate and studies have shown that there is a likely link between fluoride and lung and bladder cancer.
According to underground science.blospot.com, fluoride (which is used in toothpaste) is a little more toxic than lead.
The information further revealed that in larger quantities, fluoride could actually cause tooth and bone decay due to its non-biodegradable (cannot be decomposed into organic and environmentally safe waste) nature.
Also, the information revealed that certain salts used in the fluoridation of water and some commercial toothpaste were primarily used in rat poison and insecticides before the popularization of its dental benefits.
“The salts used in the fluoridation of water supplies, and potentially in some commercial toothpaste, include sodium fluoride and fluorosalicic acid. These are industrial by-products from manufacturing operations, and until the dental benefits of fluoride were popularized in the mid-20th century, their primary uses were in rat poison and insecticides” the information revealed.
The Independent also discovered that fluoride is a toxic substance that helps to kill off all the bacteria (both the beneficial bacteria and the harmful ones that promote tooth decay) in the month after brushing.
Users of fluoride based toothpaste are warned not to ingest the paste since that weakens the kidney due to its over-work to process the toxin, fluoride.
Due to the said effects of fluoride, calls are already underway in some countries to avoid fluoride based tooth pastes and fluoridated water.
Further information gathered by The Independent newspapers revealed that extensive studies which has been conducted into the use (ingestion) and or exposure to fluoride shows various effects on the brain, reproductive system (male fertility), kidney, gastro intestine, endocrine function, cardio vascular system, teeth, bone as well as a link with lung and bladder cancer. (http://www.fluoridealert.org/researchers/health_database/)
Warning and Direction
Checks by The Independent newspaper saw various caution and of the reach of children under six years of age.
“Warning: Keep out of the reach of children under six years of age.
If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a poison control center right away” manufacturers warned.
0.15% w/v (weight by volume) of F (fluoride) means that there is 0.15g (gram) of fluoride per 100ml (milliliters) of toothpaste.
Put another way, each ml of toothpaste contains 0.15g F-/100ml toothpaste =0.0015 g F-/ml of toothpaste.
Convert g(gram) of F-to mg (milligram) of F-using the conversion factor, 100mg/g.
0.0015g F-/mg of toothpaste/100mg/g-1.5mg of F-/ml of toothpaste.
Therefore, each ml of toothpaste contains 1.5mg of F-as an active ingredient.
In a research review, The International Society for Fluoride research had this to say about the dosage of fluoride, “the acute toxic dose of fluoride has been believed to be 2 o 5mg or 8 mg/kg of body weight. However, acute fluoride poisoning have occurred at doses of 0.1 to 0.8 mg F/kg of body weight in the USA”.
Floridealert.com also hinted, “The fact that 5 mg/kg is sufficient to cause fatality does not mean that dose lower than 5 mg/kg should be considered safe. Indeed, symptoms f acute fluoride toxically (e.g., gastrointestinal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches) can be produced at doses far below the doses that kill”.
Ghana dental Association
When the Independent contacted (via phone) the office of the Ghana Dental Association on its findings, a gentleman who answered told the paper to verify its findings before contacting the association.
Taking a defensive stance, the gentleman asked which drug in the world was not poisonous. He added that the Independent should find out what quantity of fluoride made it poisonous or toxic adding that excess intake of water also had side-effects.
Food and Drugs Authority
When The Independent contacted the Food and drug authority on the issue, a member of the communication team asked the porter to call back in twenty minutes to speak to a technical person on the matter. However, later calls to the same land line went unanswered.
Source: The Independent
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|