South African Airways (SAA), Africa’s most awarded airline, in partnership with Ecobank Ghana, Africa’s leading pan-African banking group, today announced their new-to-the-market innovation in response to existing market needs, following in-depth research.
The launch of the co-branded SAA Voyager Gold and Platinum MasterCard Credit Cards, was attended by representatives of various media publications both from South Africa and Ghana, as well as the executive management of Ecobank, Nedbank (Ecobank’s alliance partner), SAA and MasterCard.
SAA Voyager and Ecobank are confident that their brands are strategically aligned. By delivering credit cards to clients in Ghana with the “best-in-class” card-based airline rewards value proposition, both partners envisage driving “first-card-in-wallet” behaviour in the African payment card market.
The intent is to further expand their partnership within the African continent.
“This customer value proposition reflects our confidence in Africa, and our resolve to become Africa’s Leading World-Class Loyalty Programme,” said Suretha Cruse, SAA Executive for Customer Loyalty.
“The SAA Voyager Gold and Platinum MasterCard Credit Cards will be the catalysts for African growth; strengthening the landscapes for two iconic African leaders within our respective industries here in Ghana and across the continent,” she added.
The strategic partnership offers two credit card options; Gold and Platinum MasterCard Credit Cards, which include exclusive benefits ranging from lounge access, excess baggage allowance, bonus Miles, Premium check-in – to mention a few.
Both SAA Voyager members and customers of Ecobank who apply for the payment card, will have the opportunity to earn SAA Voyager Miles for everyday purchases by simply swiping their credit card when purchasing goods or services.
These customers will be able to use the earned Miles to fly with SAA, Star Alliance partners or other Airline partnerships.
“Accepted in over 210 countries, wherever MasterCard is accepted, the credit cards are by far the fastest way to earn Miles with a ticket purchase to fly on SAA or make qualified merchant purchases,” said Samuel Ashitey Adjei, MD of Ecobank Ghana.
Omokehinde Ojomuyide, Vice President and Area Business Head, West Africa, MasterCard said: “Our partnership with SAA and Ecobank signals the first co-branded payment card with an airline partner in Sub-Saharan Africa. We are particularly excited about the opportunity of working to introduce smart electronic payment solutions to the travel industry in Ghana, providing safe and secure payments for customers traveling abroad.”
“This, in addition, provides the cardholder access to the various benefits which include; extended warranty from selected shops and manufacturers, purchase protection and privilege access to over 500 airport VIP lounges worldwide. The MasterCard Credit Cards offer cardholder’s access to monthly electronic statements, up to a 45-day interest-free period, competitive interest rates, amongst others,” he added during his media address.
The Mileage earn ratio for the SAA Voyager Platinum Credit Card is 1 SAA Voyager Mile for every USD 1.50 spend, and for the SAA Voyager Gold Credit Card is 1 SAA Voyager Mile for every USD 4.00 spend. When travelling on SAA-operated flights the earn ratio is 1 SAA Voyager Mile for every ZAR 1.60 spend which is the equivalent of GHS 0.43.
SAA Voyager also announced its expansion plan in terms of its future partnership categories for both earning and spending of Miles, thus reinforcing its intent to evolve from a multi-sector retail and travel frequent flyer programme to that of a purist loyalty programme.
“We are in negotiations with various partners in Ghana to provide SAA Voyager Credit Card holders within Africa, more opportunities to earn and redeem Miles, which will include fuel, retail and telecommunication companies. We will therefore be securing a solid footprint on the African continent and every effort will be made to present our valued customers with more choice for their Miles. We want to be part of our customers’ lifestyle and to each and every one of them we say; we would like to be: Forever Part of Your Journey”, concluded Suretha Cruse at the exclusive SAA Voyager and Ecobank media launch.
Effective 1 August 2015, cardholders of the SAA Voyager Gold and Platinum MasterCard Credit Cards within Ghana will benefit from the following airline benefits:
• SAA Voyager MasterCard Platinum credit cardholders
1) Annual credit card fee: USD 28
2) Voyager Earn Rate – 1 SAA Voyager Mile for USD 1.50 spend
3) Access to SAA owned Premium departure lounges
4) Double Miles on eligible spend for the first month (only provided once per new account)
5) 15,000 Bonus Miles on 1st SAA ticket purchase (only provided once per new account)
6) Premium check-in
7) 1 Additional piece of luggage when travelling in business class at 32kgs when travelling on SAA-operated flights
8) 1 Additional piece for economy class at 23kgs when travelling on SAA-operated flights
9) 10% discount on excess luggage rates when paying with the SAA Voyager MasterCard Credit Cards for all SAA-operated flight sectors per ticket, originating from and to Accra
• SAA Voyager Gold MasterCard credit cardholder
1) Annual Card Fee: USD 25
2) Voyager Earn Rate – 1 SAA Voyager Mile for USD 4 spend
3) Double Miles on eligible spend for the first month (only provided once per new card account)
4) 10,000 Bonus Miles on 1st SAA ticket purchase (only provided once per new card account)
5) Premium check-in
6) 1 Additional piece of luggage when travelling in business class at 32kgs when travelling on SAA-operated flights
7) 1 Additional piece for economy class at 23kgs when travelling on SAA-operated flights
8) 10% discount on excess luggage rates when paying with the SAA Voyager MasterCard Credit Cards for all SAA-operated flight sectors per ticket, originating from and to Accra
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|