Home   >   News   >   Crime   >   201401
Court remands three for Adenta riot   
  << Prev  |  Next >>
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
Related Stories
An Accra Circuit Court on Thursday remanded three persons in police custody for rioting with offensive weapon contrary to section 199 of the criminal offence Act 29 (1960).

The accused persons were Freeman Aryee, Driver, Emmanuel Armah, Labourer and Tijani Osman; Painter pleaded not guilty and are to re-appear on January 20.

Police Chief Superintendent Duuti Tuaruka, told the court presided over by Mr Francis Obiri that the complainants are policemen stationed at the Regional Headquarters.

He said the accused persons are land guards residents at Adenta, a suburb of Accra.

He said on October 17, 2013, the Government realised that the Aviation land at Adenta which was secured since 1958 has been encroached by squatters and through the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources sent several warnings to the chiefs and squatters to vacate the land but they blatantly refused to comply.

The Prosecution said on December 4, 2013, the police received a letter from the Government through the two Ministries to assist in the demolition of structures on the said land at Adenta.

He said on the January 6, this year, 25 policeman under the command of the Police Superintendent were detailed to assist in the demolition exercise.

The Chief Superintendent said while executing the assignment Aryee and one Adei Akpor now deceased went in for three machetes, with the inscriptions “Village 4” and “Village 5” respectively and distributed to the land guards including pump action guns and clubs.

“The group on receipt of their weapons moved to the site where one of the bulldozers was working and attacked and smashed the windscreen of the bulldozer,” he added.

Chief Superintendent Duuti said Akpor, advancing towards the policemen brandishing his machete and chanting “blood will flow, human being will die today” ignored police warning to shots and persuasions to retreat.

“One of the policemen fired and the bullet hit Akpor and he died,” he said.

He said the irate land guards increased in their numbers to attack but the police called for re-enforcement and the accused persons were arrested and the three cutlasses seized from them but others managed to escape.
Source: GNA

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.
Featured Video