The National Accreditation Board (NAB) says it stands by its order to the Methodist University College (MUC) to withdraw by the end of April 1,465 unqualified students it has admitted to various levels of the university to pursue degree programmes.
That followed a meeting the board held with representatives of the university on Thursday.
According to the Executive Secretary of the NAB, Mr Kwame Dattey, the meeting enabled the board to make it clear to the university that it would not compromise on standards.
He said the only category of students the NAB was considering were Higher National Diploma (HND) holders from polytechnics who he said ï¿½are only a fewï¿½.
Mr Dattey said the NAB would be monitoring the MUC to ensure that it respected the order by the board, ï¿½otherwise we would have to apply the necessary sanctionsï¿½.
The order to the university followed an audit inspection conducted by the NAB at the university which found out that some of the students had been admitted with only proficiency certificates in Computer Studies and other courses.
Others had not attained Grade C6 or less in one, two or all three of the core subjects of Mathematics, English and Integrated Science or Social Studies in the West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
In response to the order, the university made submissions to the NAB on the issue, prompting the Quality Assurance Committee of the board to schedule a meeting to determine the fate of the affected students.
Source: Daily Graphic
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|