The District Chief Executive (DCE) for Asuogyaman District in the Eastern region, Thomas Ampem Nyarko says efforts are being made to cut down the 59% illiteracy rate in the district.
According to the DCE, research conducted by the district assembly in collaboration with the Ghana Education Service a few months ago has revealed that only 41% of school pupils in the district can read and write. The remaining 59% cannot read and write.
He said the district was ranked 121 out of 216 districts ranked in last yearís Basic Education Certificate Examination performance index, a situation he says is unacceptable and signifies clouds forming in the horizon in future for the district, hence, efforts are being made to uproot the problem to help raise standard of education in the district.
He said this when on projects inspection tour in the district. Some of the projects inspected were a number of ICT and library centers, as well as classroom blocks under construction in some communities in the district.
Mr Nyarko who took office eight months ago stated that a fact finding committee was sent to Obuasi in the Ashanti region to study their education system which has consistently crowned the Municipality best performance in BECE nationwide.
He said the report is being studied for implementation. Meanwhile, teachers in the district are being supported to undergo in-service training to help improve on methodology of teaching.
He said reading clubs are being formed in communities to encourage reading among pupils while efforts are being made to make available needed infrastructure for quality education.
Some of the projects inspected were an Information Communication Technology Center under construction at Anum-Bosso, six-unit Classroom Block at Agyina, Clinic in completion stage at Atimpoku, ultra-modern CHIP Center for residents at Dodi- Asantekrom and Expansion works at Bosso Health Center.
The other projects inspected were mechanized borehole being constructed for the People of Kpokope and Toilet facilities constructed separately for residents of Anum-Nkwakubew and Dodi-Asantekrom which were completed by his predecessor.
Mr Nyarko explained that the projects are being constructed from the District Development Fund and grants from the Japan Embassy.
He stated the projects are part of the assemblyís medium term development agenda which is being implemented in a participatory development planning strategy whereby residents are given opportunity to point out pressing priority projects needed.
He said it is envisaged that all ongoing projects would be ready for use by the end of this year.
Source: Daily Heritage
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|