The Judgement Debt Commission said on Monday it would investigate the activity of the Volta Basin Re-embezzlement Fund to unravel the whole truth about the fund.
This was after some people from the Volta Basin Flooded Area petitioned the Commission and questioned the relevance of the fund.
Appearing before the Commission in Accra, Mr S.K. Apraku, member of the Dentewae Family in the Volta Region said the objective of the fund, which was “to facilitate the payment of compensation faster to affected people,” left much to be desired.
He said people had already been employed to work for securing the payment of the compensation and it was very strange that a fund would be created to deduct 15 per cent of monies paid to affected people.
Mr Apraku told the Commission that the Dentewae Family received its share of the compensation through one Mr Kwame Donkor who also collected 10 per cent from the total amount.
He said another 10 per cent was paid to the Bosomfo Clan with no reason attached.
He said Mr Donkor, however, failed to disclose the total amount of money paid to the Dentewae Family.
He said there were secrecy surrounding the payment of compensation to the victims of the Volta Basin and, therefore, appealed to the JDC to investigate the issue further to unravel the truth.
Mr Justice Yaw Appau, Sole Commissioner, said records available indicated that money paid to the Dentewae Family was GH¢ 1,161,564.79 after various deductions were made.
He said the Commission would be inviting the chief of the Krachi Area on Wednesday, April 5, to get details of the bank managing the re-embezzlement fund, the amount in the account, how it was being spent, the signatories and other matters.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|