Home   >   News   >   General News   >   201710
Safety Protocol Was Not Followed In Discharge Of LPG At Atomic Junction   
 
  << Prev  |  Next >>
 
17-Oct-2017  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
Library Image
 
Related Stories
 
Preliminary investigations into the October 7, 2017 Atomic Junction gas explosion have revealed that safety protocol in the discharge of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) was not followed.

According to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Petroleum Authority (NPA), Mr Hassan Tampuli, the product was discharged after 6 p.m., which is against the rules.

He said a driver’s mate who had no training in the discharge of LPG bolted when he realised there was a massive leakage.

Mr Tampuli, in an interview with the Daily Graphic, said it also emerged during investigations that the product was sourced from a third party unknown to the NPA.

NPA Inspection

Mr Tampuli explained that officials from the NPA had in July 2017 inspected the Total Fuel Station, which was also caught in the fire, and raised some safety issues.

He said it was important to note that the station rectified all the issues raised by the NPA two weeks before the explosion.

He further noted that the NPA had since handed over the report to the Presidency and the Ministry of Energy.

More deaths

Meanwhile, three more victims of the Atomic Junction gas explosion who were admitted to the 37 Military Hospital have died, writes Kukua Nketsia Asiedu, ACCRA.

This brings the number of deaths in the incident to 10.

The three, including two students aged 14 and 19, died last week after sustaining severe burns from the tragic inferno on October 7, 2017.

The Administrative Medical Officer at the 37 Military Hospital, Major R.O Mintah, in an interview with the Daily Graphic last Friday, said: “One of the bodies has been collected and buried already, while one is to be collected later.”

He said out of the 58 patients admitted to the hospital on the day of the incident, 47 had been discharged, while 11 of the victims were still there and responding to treatment.

Major Mintah said two other males who suffered serious burns were also at the intensive care unit.

Four patients sustained injuries during the stampede which ensued after the explosion.

“They have various fractures, but they are conscious, they talk they eat, they even gave us numbers for us to call their families,” Major Mintah added.

Legon Hospital

At Legon Hospital, the Administrator in charge, Mr Eric H. Gaisey, said the hospital admitted “35 patients, 20 of whom were students.”

He added that five patients with severe injuries were transferred to the 37 Military Hospital.

Background

Seven people lost their lives and 132 others sustained various degrees of injury in the October 7, 2017 gas explosion.

Several people have also reported of their missing vehicles and household belongings following their escaping the disaster scene.

New Gas Policy

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has set up a Ministerial Coordinating Committee to ensure strict adherence and implementation of new regulatory measures intended to sanitise the fuel and gas distribution chain for maximum public safety and comfort.
 
 
Source: Daily Graphic
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.
 
 
Featured Video