Home   >   News   >   Social   >   200909
NGO to withdraw 240 children from child labour   
 
  << Prev  |  Next >>
 
14-Sep-2009  
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
Challenging Heights, a Non-Governmental Organisation, operating in the Effutu Municipality has targeted to help withdraw 240 children from the worse forms of child labour, in cocoa growing areas and also assist them to go schools or learn a trade.

Mr James Kofi Annan, Executive Director of the NGO, said this in a statement issued in Winneba on Monday, in reaction to an interview he had with the Ghana News agency, last week.

He said it not true that the NGO has withdrawn 300 children from cocoa growing areas in two districts of the Central Region but explained that, it would rather rescue 240 children from worse forms of child labour in cocoa growing areas this year.

He said this year the NGO has targeted to rescue 50 children from some fishing communities in Yeji this year, adding that, 21 children were rescued last week while 10 others are expected to be saved from Kpando soon.

Mr Annan said the Organisation has established a school, which is collaboration with parents in the community.

He said the population of the school, is over 300 and that parents contribute 20 percent of the cost of the children while the NGO provides the remaining 80 percent.
 
 
Source: GNA
 
 

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.
 
 
Featured Video