It’s not your mother’s date anymore. Your dating code of behaviour has evolved from the rules and traditions of yester-year to a more liberated movement.
Whether she was wooed at the malt shop or at a sit-in, dating conventions have changed since she was your age.
We have compiled a list of things that weren’t true when Mom was dating to examine the pitfalls and perks of those Casanovas before you.
• You can make the first move: Fortunately, men are no longer on the hook for making the first move. Currently it’s commonplace for women ask men out, pay for the date or go for the goodnight kiss.
You are considerably more independent than your mom’s generation, allowing you to make the first move without the risk of wagging fingers or gasping onlookers.
As the traditional view of the modest lady-in-waiting fades, you can take the lead and ask for what you want. After all, you just may get it.
• You can have it all: Nowadays, it’s not unusual for a woman to “have it all.” With financial independence, burgeoning careers and growing gender equality, women can work, stay fit, volunteer, fill their social calendar and still date the man of her dreams.
Nowadays, juggling the bevy of responsibilities just makes you a well-rounded, driven individual that is more likely to have interests and a life of your own.
In the words of Chaka Khan, you can be “every woman.”
• You rely on technology (maybe too much): How did anyone ever get along without cell phones, e-mail and computers? Technology advancements have certainly made your life easier, but it has also changed the way you communicate.
Technology is so ubiquitous in present-day life that some now elect to text or e-mail, rather than talk or meet. When communicating electronically, your intentions can be lost in translation given that the person isn’t right in front of you.
Take a cue from simpler times and get back to basics after the initial introduction. Turn your phones off, meet and put in some face time.
• You can meet and greet online: Online dating didn’t exist when Mom was on the prowl, so meeting people was a lot different then.
Your mom was dependent on introductions and social functions for seeking out relationships. Traditional nightspots and work environments still offered potential dates, but the old standby wasn’t exactly unique.
With the evolution of Internet dating, folks now get the opportunity to see what’s out there without actually being out there.
Meeting people in neighbouring cities has never been easier, while a certain sense of prescreening is encouraging to those who are apprehensive.
You have just multiplied your odds of meeting that special someone by utilising this electronic resource.
• The “ticking clock” isn’t quite as loud: With people meeting and marrying later in life, families come later, too. It isn’t uncommon that women and men will complete their education, climb the corporate ladder and obtain property before getting on with the happily-ever-after.
The good news is that you generally know yourself better as you age, understanding your goals and defining your priorities.
Therefore, you can relax and take your time, as your mate will complement the mature and authentic you.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|