Home   >   News   >   Social   >   201808
Man Who Attempted Suicide On President’s Convoy Case Adjourned   
  << Prev  |  Next >>
Comments ( 0 )     Email    Print
Related Stories
The police are yet to receive a fully endorsed medical report on Seth Nana Amowie, an unemployed resident of Nungua in the Greater Accra Region who attempted to commit suicide by jumping in front of the President’s convoy.

An Accra Circuit Court on August 9, 2018 ordered the police to take the suspect to hospital for mental check up.

This was at the request of the prosecution led by DSP George Amega who told the court that they would want to be sure of his mental capabilities before they take their next action.

Appearing before a relieving judge yesterday, DSP Amega told the court that the case investigator was at the hospital three days ago to pick up the report but it was not ready.

He said the investigator went back to the hospital yesterday before coming to court but he was told although the report was ready, it had not been endorsed by the medical officer.

DSP Amega therefore prayed the court to adjourn the matter to allow the police to get the endorsed medical report on the suspect.

The court presided over by M.E. Essandoh subsequently adjourned the matter to September 12, 2018.

Seth Nana Amowie is in court for attempting to commit suicide by jumping in front of the President’s convoy.

The suspect who could be in his early 30s, according to DSP Amegah on August 7, 2018 with the intent to commit suicide hid himself at the Ako-Adjei interchange in Accra waiting for the President’s convoy.

He said when the convoy got to the interchange, the suspect jumped in front of the vehicles and the convoy had to make an abrupt stop to avoid knocking him down.

DSP Amega told the court that the suspect used his hands to hit the bonnet of the President’s vehicle a couple of times and later jumped on to the bonnet of the President’s car.

He said the suspect was arrested by police officers stationed at the Presidency who were with the President at the time and was taken to the Nima Police Station.

The court heard that Amowie admitted that he wanted to commit suicide, adding that he had been looking for an opportunity to meet the President for a longtime but to no avail.

DSP Amega told the court that the police have the suspicion that the suspect may not be mentally fit considering the turn of events.

He therefore prayed the court not to take the plea of the suspect. He further prayed the court to make an order for the accused person to be taken to hospital for psychiatric check.

He told the court that the suspect would be brought back to the court after the result of the examination has been released.

The court presided over by Her Honour, Harriet Akweley Quaye, granted the order for Amowie to be taken to hospital for examination.
Source: Daily Guide

Comments ( 0 ): Post Your Comments >>

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.
Featured Video