Home   >   Politics   >   Politics   >   201912
Regional Ministers Bad Relationship With Regional Chairmen May Cause NPP In 2020... - Survey Reveals   
 
  << Prev  |  Next >>
 
10-Dec-2019  
Comments ( 1 )     Email    Print
       
 
 
 
 
Related Stories
 
Coalition for Electoral Reforms, Africa, says in a survey that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) chances to emerge victor in the 2020 elections may be endangered by what the group describes as "bad relationship" existing between Ministers, Regional Chairmen and foot soldiers of the party.

According to the survey, the Regional Ministers and Chairmen scored 50% in relationship with their constituency executives, foot soldiers as well as their influence in the Regions.

"Upon our survey, we realized that the some regions lack the needed resource and funding to support the party foot soldiers in order to propagate the good works of his Excellency the President in the region".

Read full survey below:

COALITION FOR ELECTORAL REFORMS, AFRICA (GHANA)

 SURVEY METHODOLOGY

Survey was done in a range of strategies that can be employed to ensure the retain of political power. Other common approaches include formal intercepted constituency reports, engagements with constituency executives, grassroots and foot soldiers and the analysis of senior election pollsters’ reports.

Expert surveys are a flexible technique that enables the examination of a wide variety of different types of attitudes or relationships between Regional Chairmen and their respective Regional Ministers, their constituency executives, grassroots and foot soldiers.

In expert surveys, it is crucial to choose relevant experts and to ask them questions on which they have relevant expertise. In the case of this survey, the experts chosen to receive the questionnaire included those who met one of two sets of criteria: either (a) they had to be working at the constituency and regional party offices of New Patriotic Party (NPP) or (b) they had followed the NPP for more than 10 years and had sacrificed for the party on several instances.

A section of the questionnaire asked respondents to provide information about their professional expertise, (Proof to show they were party officers at the constituency and regional levels). These questions were included as a safeguard to ensure that the surveys had all been completed by suitably-qualified persons. Responses to these questions indicate that all surveys were completed by people who had sufficient experience in the topics under investigation.

AIM AND OBJECTS

The survey instrument was a self-completion questionnaire administered by printed documents and email in September 2019. It consisted of 16 questions, including a mix of closed- and open-ended question designed to tap:

(a) The level of cordial relationship between regional chairmen and their respective regional ministers

(b) The level of cordial relationship between the Regional chairman and his regional, constituency executives.

c) The level of influence of the regional chairman in the region 

d) The effect, impact and severity of differences and clashes between the regional minister and the regional chairman

e) The best means of overcoming the differences between regional chairmen and their respective constituency executives. 

Respondents were asked to reply to questions with reference to the constituencies which they had enough knowledge about.

Each closed question was followed by a space which allowed respondents to offer their comments on the topic in question.

A total of 115 surveys were sent out by email with personalized cover letters. Also, a total of 500 printed questionnaires were distributed in each region.

Respondents who had not returned the survey within a week were sent a reminder. A second reminder was sent a week later to those who we sent the email.

Of the 115 people to whom surveys were targeted, eight could not be contacted (the messages sent to them bounced and no alternative email address could be found, or out-of-office replies were received). Of the 107 people who received the survey, 53 returned it, for an overall response rate of 49.5 percent (which is impressive for an email survey). A further 11 people promised to return the survey but failed to do so, and six people replied that they were unable to complete the survey.

However with respect to the printed questionnaires, all were answered precisely

The total number of surveys returned was thus in accordance with ethical best practice, responses have been fully anonymized for the purposes of reporting.

FINDINGS AND ANALYSIS

The results of the survey suggest that differences and quarrels between Regional chairmen and their Regional Ministers have serious implications in the party across all the regions

In reply to a general question about the severity of internal disputes amongst regional chairmen and their regional ministers, we observed that, it is very detrimental to the party

REGIONAL ANALYSIS


North East Region

Mr. Nuhu Fuseini a businessman, has been elected as the Regional Chairman of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the North East Region. He thus becomes the first ever regional chairman of the NPP in the North East Region. Mr. Fuseini pulled 49 valid votes out of the 102 total valid votes cast to beat his close contender Akamara Henry Bawa who had 27 votes.

The Western North Region is one of the six new regions of Ghana created in 2019.Solomon Namlit Boar, Member of Parliament for Bunkpurugu constituency and former Deputy Minister for Northern Region, is the Minister for North East Region. The minister happens to be in good terms with his regional chairman. Also, because the regional chairman is resourceful, he is been loved and liked by many party foot soldiers

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored’’’’’’’ in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored’’’’’’

Western North Region

Kingsley Aboagye Gyedu, Member of Parliament for Bibiani/Anhwiaso/Bekwai constituency and former Deputy Minister for Health, is the Minister for Western North Region.

Benjamin William Assuah, a member of the Council of Elders of NPP in the Western North, bagged 63 votes to become the new chairman for the party in the new region. Per our survey, both the Regional Chairman and the regional minister are in good terms with the party executives and that is positive for the party.

 According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 54% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 46%. 

Central Region

The Central Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Robert Kutin Jnr is very resourceful and a respected politician in the region.

The regional minister Kwamena Duncan is also lively person who is adored by many.

Our research revealed that, there have been several mishaps between the Regional Minister and the regional chairman. However, the regional chairman, considering his age and experience has been able to resolve all such issues amicably.

The only problem in the region which most of our respondents commented about even though not a question was the issue of the dismissal of the regional 1st vice chairman Horace Ekow Kusi. Many believe it was a good and courageous decision taken by the regional chairman whereas other believe otherwise. The constituency executives are all united and in good relationship with their regional chairman.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 69% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 31%.

Eastern Region

Hon. Eric Kwakye Darfour is the regional minister for the Eastern Region. Mr. Kissi is also the NPP Eastern Regional chairman

We observed that, because Eastern region is considered as the second strong hold of the NPP, the regional chairman is relaxed and reluctant.

Also, because President and Sammi Awuku hails from the region they think the victory for the region will be on a silver platter for that matter, they have decided to be reluctant.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 48% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 52%.

Upper East

According to our data collected, we realized the Regional Chairman is in good terms with the Regional Minister. We also observed that, as a result of the good relationship between the two, the constituency executives are united and ready for the forth coming 2020 general elections, as a result of this both the Regional Minister and Chairman are in good standing, scoring an average of 50% each in terms of control and popularity.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 49% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored  51%.

Bono East

It is important to acknowledge that prior to the creation of the Bono East region, that geographical area was known to be a strong hold for the NDC. It is on record that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) holds five parliamentary seats out of the eleven parliamentary seats in the region. It must be noted that the five parliamentary seats won by the NPP in the region was by a small margin. 

During our research we observed that the regional Chairman Thomas Adu-Appiah a.k.a Toma is unenthusiastic and thus we recommended that he should be up and doing. To add to that, we observed that the relationship between the Regional Chairman and Regional Minister is nothing to write home about. We also noted that Nkronza South, which happens to be the mother constituency of the regional Chairman is under fire as result of a serious banter between the DCE and the MP. This banter has remained unresolved for a long period of time and hence breeding dismay among the constituency executives, furthermore we also pointed out that the attitude of the MCE of Attebubu is causing anarchy and disaffection in the constituency.

Finally, we observed that the regional Chairman is unable to control the region.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 49% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored  51%.

Northern Region

Our survey revealed that there is an uncalled for rivalry between the regional Chairman and regional Minister, per our checks we realized that the rivalry between the regional Chairman, Samba a.k.a “Do all” and the regional Minister, Salifu Saeed is as a result of the regional Ministers attitude of hijacking all governmental projects in the region. This attitude has gotten the constituency executives aggrieved and invariably causing the banter between the regional Minister and regional Chairman. The party faithful’s, executives and foot soldiers feel they are not benefiting from the party and hence do not see the essence of sacrificing for the party.

However we observed that the regional Chairman has an upper hand in the region over the regional Minister in terms of control and relationship with the party executives.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 60% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 40%.

Savanna

Our research revealed that the regional Chairman has absolute control over the region because he was born and bred in the region and also knows the terrain in the region. However, the regional Minister uses several diabolic means to undermine the regional Chairman. The regional Minister has on several occasions incited other tribes against the regional Chairman. It is pertinent to know that the Savanna region is the home region of the former President Mahama and thus the NPP must take a critical look concerning the region. But the regional Minister is doing more harm than good and has even lost control in his own constituency.

On one occasion our checks revealed that the regional Minister, Salifu Adam Braimah wrote to Dan Botwe (Minister for regional re-integration) to deny the regional Chairman of all projects, and truly, he has been denied of all governmental projects in the region.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 58% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 42%.

Greater Accra

Chairman Divine managed to win the elections but has been neglected by some government appointees in the region. He is been seen as an enemy to the seat of government. The regional Chairman having played his cards well, decided to keep quiet. He can do better if he has the support of the party.

The regional Chairman has since decided to keep a blind eye on the activities of some constituency executives who are deemed to be affiliated to the office of the chief of staff and this attitude of the regional Chairman according to some constituency executives is not helping the party in the region.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 59% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 41%.

Ashanti Region

Mr. Bernard Antwi Boasiako a.k.a Chairman Wuntumi the regional Chairman is well known by the Ghanaian media because of his usual attacks against the former President Mahama and also he has a good relationship with the media because his personal assistant Mr. Isaac Kankam is a media person, who formerly worked with the Chronicle newspaper.

However, despite Chairman Wuntumi’s large popularity in the Ghanaian media he has lost control in the region because to communicate with Chairman Wuntumi regarding matters of party interest is very difficult.

Our checks revealed that he does not report to the party office neither does he sleep at home, he is always spotted at hotels and this has made it practically impossible for the constituency executives to express their worries and concerns to him.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 60% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 40%.

Ahafo Region

The regional Chairman for Ahafo region Francis Osei Poku Safo a.k.a Chairman Jerry died in the middle of this year (2019) in a motor accident. After his demise, he was succeeded by his first Vice-Chairman Mr. Kwabena Owusu Sekyere. Mr. Owusu Sekyere was not a favorite for the regional Chairman position, however he became the regional Chairman out of unforeseen circumstances (the demise of Chairman Jerry). Mr. Owusu Sekyere is a quiet and soft spoken person in nature and therefore lacks the ability to attract the crowd unlike Chairman Jerry who was able to pull a lot of crowd.

According to our survey we observed that the constituency executives do not respect the regional Chairman, we also discovered that the regional Chairman is not in good terms with the regional Minister Hon. Bobie who doubles as the MP for Asunafo constituency, because of his rich political experience the regional Minister is very familiar and in good relationship with the party faithfuls and foot soldiers. We also noticed that the regional Ministers level of influence supersedes that of the regional Chairman. The regional Chairman has lost control in the region and for that matter party foot soldiers are unhappy.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored  46% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored  54%.

Bono Region

Hon. Kweku Asomah Cheremeh happened to be the former regional Minister, upon the creation of the new regions he has been appointed as the Minister of Lands and natural resources, this resulted in the appointment of Mrs. Evelyn Ama Kumah Richardson as the regional Minister. During Hon. Kweku Asuma’s tenure of office he had issues with the regional Chairman, Mr. Kwame Boafo Abronye, upon the appointment of Mrs. Evelyn who was helped by Hon. Kweku Asomah to get her appointment she also continued the beef with the regional Chairman her predecessor left behind. Mr. Baffoe Abronye the regional Chairman has more influence in the region compared to that of the regional Minister Mrs. Evelyn Kumah, Abronye was formerly the regional youth organizer and the regional first Vice-Chairman. The regional Minister selected six executives who are she believes are her loyalists

According to our survey, we noticed that the party folks does not respect the regional Minister and this has brought down her credibility because of Certificate crises. We also observed that the regional chairman MR Abronye is widely circulated in the media and also has a tremendous influence in the region  BUTs not resourceful and ever since the party assumed power he has complained several times of being neglected and as a result of this most of his followers are not willing to further sacrifice for party looking at the kind of vicious treatment being given to the regional Chairman now.

With regard to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 74% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored 26%.

Oti Region

Mr. Evans Dapaah who happens to be the regional Chairman is not too resourceful yet still, he holds 55% of the party faithful whereas the regional Minister Mr. Kwasi Owusu Yeboah holds the remaining 45%.  The regional Minister does not accord the regional Chairman the respect due him as well as other party folks. From our survey if the regional Minister and the regional Chairman both come together and work hand in hand it will go a long way terms of their influence in the region as well as enhancing their relationship with other party folks.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored’’’’’’’ in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand the regional Minister scored’’’’’’

Western Region

Mr. Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah Dr. Kwaku Afriyie is the minister for the above-mentioned region, he has a good relationship with constituency executives and the regional Chairman. The regional Chairman ‘’’’’’’’’’’’and the regional Minister both work hand in hand with the constituency executives and other party folks. Both the regional Minister and regional Chairman have great influence and control in the region.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored’’’’’’’ in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand, the regional Minister scored’’’’’’

Volta Region

Stronghold of the NDC.

If the regional chairman together with the regional executives and the regional minister come together they can make a huge difference. Upon our survey, we realized that the region lacks the needed resource and funding to support the party foot soldiers in order to propagate the good works of his Excellency the President in the region.

According to our survey, the regional Chairman scored 50% in terms of relationship with his constituency executives, foot soldiers, influence in the region and the general performance, on the other hand, the regional Minister scored 50%.
 
 
Source: Josephine Acheampomaa/ [email protected]
 
 

Comments ( 1 ): Post Your Comments >>

 
 
 
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.
 
 
Featured Video