The Portuguese had been absent throughout the Red Devils' pre-season campaign, but is now back ahead of the new season.
Cristiano Ronaldo was included in Manchester United's starting XI to face Rayo Vallecano amid the ongoing rumours linking him with a summer transfer, but he did not stick around to hear the final whistle. The 37-year-old made Erik ten Hag's lineup despite not featuring in any of the Red Devils' previous five pre-season fixtures.
Ronaldo indicated he was set to feature against Rayo on social media as he told his followers "the king plays", leading to speculation he would come off the bench, but Ten Hag has decided to use him right from the off at Old Trafford.
What has Ten Hag said about Ronaldo?
Ten Hag initially confirmed that Ronaldo would be in his squad for the Rayo friendly clash after United's 1-0 loss to Atletico Madrid in Spain on Saturday.
The Dutchman admitted that the veteran forward is still a long way behind the rest of his senior team-mates in terms of fitness, however, having only just seen him return from an extended break.
"We'll see how long he can play," Ten Hag told Viaplay. "I cannot tell in this moment (how fit he is). He is not on the level of the rest of the squad because he missed a lot of weeks. But he needs games and he needs training, a lot."
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|