Teacher Stripped Naked

A Young female teacher at Gambia No.2 D/A Primary School in the Asutifi North District of the Brong-Ahafo Region, was last week hospitalized following severe beatings a pupil and his family subjected her to on Friday, March 21, 2014 stripping her naked in the process, as both her colleague teachers and the pupils looked on. Daily Guide gathered that Regina Pokuaa, 26, Class Four teacher, fainted in the process and was rushed to the Goaso Government Hospital for medical attention. According to a source, she remained on admission at the hospital until Monday afternoon when she was discharged. At the time of filing this report, the police in the area had arrested one person, said to be closely linked to the incident, but the other suspects had fled the community. The young female teacher, who was posted to the school in September 2013, sent one of her pupils on an errand, who had an elder brother in the same school, about 16 years old and in P6. Eyewitnesses told Daily Guide that the P6 boy asked his younger brother not to go on the errand. The little boy then complied and told the Madam that his elder brother in Class 6 had asked him not to go. The teacher, according to a source, then approached the Class 6 boy and when she asked him why he did that, the boy slapped her and left the school. The incident, the paper learnt, attracted the attention of the head of the school who called for a staff meeting to discuss it. According to reports, while the staff meeting was in progress, the Class 6 boy returned to the school with his mother, elder sister and a host of others, and allegedly pounced on the female teacher and brutally assaulted her, tearing her dresses into pieces in the presence of the other teachers who looked on unconcerned till the poor lady fell down unconscious. Some teachers claimed the female teacher was disrespectful, hence their refusal to intervene to save her from her attackers. Meanwhile, officials of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) have condemned the act and called on the police to arrest and prosecute the perpetrators of the detestable offence. Latest information suggests that two more suspects had been arrested, putting the number of arrests at three. The victim was detained briefly yesterday afternoon at the police station in what the police claimed was to ensure her personal safety. She was later released.