Man On Trial For Killing Psychiatric Patient In Self-Defence

A 55 year old farmer, standing trial for allegedly murdering a mentally deranged man, in self-defense at Abeadze Odumase in the Central Region, was on Monday granted bail by a Cape Coast Circuit Court. George Amoanu Gyasi, who was spotted with a bandaged hand in court, was granted bail in the sum of GHC5, 000.00 with one surety.  He is also to report to the Abura Dunkwa Police every Wednesday until the final determination of the case. Gyasi pleaded not guilty to murder and would re-appear before the court on Wednesday January 21. Police Chief Inspector Charles Anku, told the court presided over by Mr. Kofi Seshie Ametewee, that the complainant, Rebecca Antwi, the Aunt of the deceased, and Gyasi, the accused person, were both farmers at Abeadze Odumase. He said the deceased was a mentally deranged person who had the habit of attacking people with a cutlass in the town, so during one of such attacks this year, he gave a man a deep cut in the hand. He said the deceased was taken to the Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital and was undergoing treatment until his death. Chief Inspector Anku said on Monday December 22, at about 1800hrs, the deceased picked a quarrel with some residents in the vicinity and threatened them with his cutlass. He said the mother of the deceased, sensing danger, rushed to the Abura Dunkwa Police, but the deceased left for the farm with his cutlass. He said the deceased, on the way to the farm, spotted Gyasi, who going to the farm and followed him and gave him a cut on his right hand from behind with his cutlass. Chief Inspector Anku said the accused in self-defense, retaliated by cutting the left side of the deceased’s neck with a cutlass he was also holding. He said Gyasi then rushed home and informed the complainant and also reported the incident to the police.  He was, subsequently, issued with a medical form to visit the hospital for treatment. Later that day, the prosecutor said, the complainant went to the farm in search of the deceased and found him lying dead with a deep cut on the left side of his neck.  She reported the incident to the Police, leading to Gyasi’s arrest, while the deceased’s cutlass and that of the accused were retrieved by the police as evidence. Earlier, Mr. Gustav Addington, Counsel for Gyasi, in application for bail had intimated that the facts of the case did not correspond with the charge, saying his client should have been charged with manslaughter and not murder and the presiding judge there upon granted Gyasi bail.