Police Instructor In Court For Allegedly Raping Recruit

A 39-year-old police training instructor is facing the law for allegedly raping a 25-year-old female recruit at the National Police Training School at Tesano in Accra.

The prosecution’s claim is that Inspector Frank Noagbe, a physical training instructor, allegedly raped the female recruit in a washroom on April 1, 2017, despite several pleas from her that she is a married woman.

Inspector Noagbe has been charged with rape and is currently before the Accra Central District Court for committal proceedings, a prelude to the eventual trial at the High Court.

He is, however, on bail in the sum of GH¢100,000, with two sureties, which was granted by the Accra High Court where he had applied for bail.

A-G’s advice

At yesterday’s hearing at the Accra Central District Court, the prosecutor, Detective Inspector Simon Apiosornu, told the court that the police had forwarded a duplicate docket on the case to the Attorney-General’s (A-G’s) Department for advice.

The court, presided over by Ms Arit Nsemoh, adjourned the case to September 21, 2017.

Alleged incident

The facts of the case, as presented by Detective Inspector Apiosornu, were that on April 1, 2017, during prep time at 8 p.m., the female recruit went for her phone from one of the offices at the training school to make a call.

He said the recruit went to one of the washroom’s designated for instructors and called her mother and also spoke with her three-year-old daughter.

“From nowhere, Inspector Noagbe appeared, closed the door of the washroom and warned her to keep quiet and allow him to have sex with her, else she would be punished for using a phone. He then started removing his belt and trousers while advancing towards the recruit,’’ he said.

According to Detective Inspector Apiosornu, the recruit pleaded with Inspector Noagbe to stop because she was a married woman.

“Inspector Noagbe, however, ignored her, went ahead and had sex with her without her consent. The recruit could not hide the ordeal and later reported the matter to the school authorities," the prosecutor said.