�Theft� Drama At Police Headquarters!

Shocking revelations filtering into the offices of the Daily Searchlight earlier this week say the motor bicycles which were reportedly stolen from the United Kingdom and seized in Ghana by the Ghanaian Police or and Interpol and placed at the custody of the Criminal Investigations Department, Headquarters in Accra have been allegedly stolen from under the very nose of our police! So far the matter holds the potential of causing an international embarrassment for Ghana as the Metropolitan Police Service in London have written to the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Paul Tawiah Quaye, to as a matter of urgency, provide them with an update on the matter in relation with the stolen motor bicycles and also provide contact details to the whereabouts of the motorbikes. According to a four page letter dated Saturday January 27, 2010, and signed by Brian Hayman, SCD6, International Unit of the London Metropolitan Police Service and a copy of which is in the possession of the Daily Searchlight, the rightful owners of those motor bicycles have been given to the Ghanaian Police to assist in locating the vehicles. The letter, the UK Police say, was necessitated by an earlier request by the Ghanaian authorities in 2009, seeking assistance from them in locating the registered keepers of the UK registered motor bicycles. �Despite a speedy reply supplying the required information and numerous other emails and phone calls made to the Ghanaian authorities, the London Metropolitan Police Service are yet to receive a satisfactory response from the Ghanaian Police,� the letter stated categorically. Eighteen motor bicycles are so far said to have been stolen in London, the letter quotes, adding, that �these vehicles are part of ongoing criminal enquiries by the London Metropolitan Police and their return to UK is required. Further to that, the lawful owners of these vehicles are desperate for further information to assist them in recovering their property. Attempts by The Daily Searchlight to speak to the Police Public Affairs Director, DSP Kwesi Ofori proved futile following our inability to meet his presence at his office yesterday, even though, we had spoken to him on the subject a day before via telephone and he had requested newsmen to see him to lead him to the appropriate quarters for their response. His second in-command, Mr. Cephas Arthur was equally not available. He was said to have travelled to Winneba at the time newsmen visited him.